Monday, February 3, 2014

This Little Light of Mine

Dearest Family, 

As a missionary (as long as you are working hard and doing all you are supposed to) every day is full of miracles. Some may be huge that are impossible to miss but others may be small, if you're not careful they might just pass you by. During my service as a missionary, I have made it a goal of mine to see the Lord's hand in everything and in doing this I can say that every day is truly miraculous. Our God is an awesome God.

This week we had exchanges. I have always really loved exchanges, it's such an awesome opportunity to learn from other missionaries and they're just fun! Sister Lamoraeux came down to Illi with me and we had such a great time, I always wondered what it would be like to have served with Deseree'. Growing up she was the missionary I wanted to be. Des, you were always such a good example to me, I love you! As I was with Sister Lamoraeux it was just like I was with my sister Deseree'. And you best believe that serving with her was one of the best experiences ever! I learned so much and her sweet spirit brought such a warmth to my missionary life. Having some home away from home is always so nice. So one of my favorite parts of the exchange was exercise, ha! I have been dying to go running outside (Sister Parish and I usually do work outs on the stairs of our apartment) at night, I timidly asked if we could go running for exercise the next morning and she was so excited. She just said "Oh I was praying you would go running with me!"  So, on snowy Wednesday morning Sister Lamoraeux and I went running thought the quiet town of Illichyovsk, it was so serene and beautiful, probably the best run I've ever been on. It was sad to end the exchange but good to be back with my Sister Parish - we're trying to soak up all of our last precious days together before I leave to Bila Tserkva (but really who knows? We could serve together again!)

 On Saturday it was our best friend, Katia's birthday. We threw a little party for her during English club and it was so much fun! We seriously love Katia so much. She has become such a huge part of my life. I feel like I have known her for so much longer than I have, well obviously we knew each other before this life and I promised her I would come to Illichyovsk one day and find her. Seriously, I know I have known Katia for way longer than only seven weeks. Anyways, Katia has had a desire to meet with us and talk about the church for a long time. You can just see the desire burning inside of her. But her mother has always been very against the church, even very hesitant allowing her to come to our English club. Sister Parish and I have been praying and fasting for a miracle. Her mother has never allowed us to come over and has never agreed to meeting us. Katia was asked what she wanted for her birthday and all she wanted was for the Sisters to come over, her mom, though reluctant, agreed- MIRACLE!!! Last night, we celebrated both Katia and Sister Parish's birthday with Katia and her little brother and mother; it could not have gone better. We prayed and fasted that God would help us know what to say and how to act and He did! We enjoyed a delicious meal and we were entertained by her little brother, Max. Then, we just sat and talked and got to know each other. When it was time for us to go, Katia's mom pleaded with us to stay just a little bit longer and was already inviting us back to her home. Within the matter of minutes her mother had become a different person. Her heart was softened right in front of our eyes. A wonderful miracle I was blessed to be a part of. I'm so sad I have to leave when so many exciting things are happening, but I'm so grateful that I had the time and opportunity to be here and see so many miracles come to pass. 
I have already started saying goodbyes and it has been very hard for me. You would think that leaving a place you've only been for two months wouldn't be that hard but it is. There are just so many people that I love so much here! 

Words from the Wonderfully Wise Baba: 
 "You were made to serve!" 
We were all given wonderful gifts, our bodies! Aren't our bodies truly incredible? We can do so many amazing things with them. And we should use them to do good for others! Help those in need. I promise you that as you lose yourself in the service of others you will receive more blessings than you ever could have imagined.

Friends and family I love you all more than I can even begin to try to type on this keyboard. As we walk through these freezing Ukrainian streets my soul is warmed by my burning testimony of the gospel and my love for each and every one of you! Thank you for your love and your support, You mean the world to me! Keep on keeping on! 

Next stop, White Church.


All of my love,

You sister, Sister Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment